Do you have a illegal AK made from an American receiver?

The discussion of combat rifles and Shotguns

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

billg
Site Admin

Do you have a illegal AK made from an American receiver?

Post by billg » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:41 pm

According to ATF, if you used an imported barrel (a barrel and cut receiver parts kit or repair kit) and an American receiver to manufacture your own AK you have violated a law passed in the 90's. Apparently ATF's new interpretation of the law on importation of non-sporting firearms also includes manufacturing with a US receiver and imported barrel as a violation at this time. So even if you comply with the US parts requirement you are still in violation of the law. Don't you just love it. Seems like the problem is that the barrel is considered a military firearm barrel which is illegal to import and use in making new firearms from parts.

Topmaul

Post by Topmaul » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:20 am

Who is behind this stupity? I'll bet it's American arms manufacturers who else will profit form it. If the price of an AK is close to the AR who is going to buy an AK?

BigBill

Post by BigBill » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:40 am

I was never interested in the building an AK but there is an AK sporter thats the hottest thing to hit our shores since the very first chinese norinco sks. Its the Russian Izhmash Saiga there here again.
Just go to; www.raacfirearms.com Check them out.

Your getting a brand new Russian AK in a sporter wrapper plus the people at Izhmash focused on making them more accurate than their AK brothers are. Your getting the russian quality in the chromed lined bore and chamber too so i have a semi-auto rifle that can do both roles of a hunting rifle and a plinker too. My first one cost $307 OTD for a saiga in 308win. with a 16" barrel. They come in 22" barrels too and both have the same accuracy at 100yds. I think they are a breath of fresh air to hit our gun market. They come in 7,62x39 and .223 too. The cost of the saiga in .223 is around $259. The new imported ones maybe a little higher but thats still affordable. I was never fond of the higher priced guns in .223 nor the .223 round but i purchased a saiga in .223 and its a hoot to shoot too. The affordable saiga and the cheap wolf fmj ammo sure make a good combination. If you like plinkin and varmit hunting this pair can't be beat. Lets face it nothing can match the dependability and reliability of the Russian AK.

I have nothing to do with the sales of the sagia's I just like to shoot and like great buys.

IZZY_T

Post by IZZY_T » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:57 am

I thought Saiga series were not chrome lined?

At least the one I had a few years ago was not, that may have changed...

BigBill

Post by BigBill » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:21 pm

The saiga sporters in the black synthetic stocks have chrome lined bores and chambers. I believe all the saiga's do even the shotguns too. I'm not sure about the high power bolt action rifles but i think everything out of russia now has the chrome. The hard industrial chrome lined bores and chambers can sure improve barrel life and barrel throat wear.

IZZY_T

Post by IZZY_T » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:10 am

Bill you are correct, at least as far as what I found out on the net.

I guess 4 years ago either I did not look caurefuly enough, or got a "mistake"
(i've heard of SAR's w/o chrome, so it does happen on occasion).

BigBill

Post by BigBill » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:44 am

You have to look closely to see the sometimes dull colored industrial chrome lining but its there. Its not always bumper bright and shiney. It wraps out over the front outside of the crown on the muzzle too.

The people in Russia at Izhmash have surely stepped up to the plate and are manufacturing a quality AK designed sporting rifle. I think they found a spot in our modern gun market with their affordable prices too. I know its going to be hard to attract the modern gun guys to this sheetmetal stamped receiver gun and time will tell so far i think its a hit i read posts about it going hunting already with some guys too.(308win saiga for bear and deer)