Kel-Tec PF9

The discussion of a semi-automatic pistols

Moderator: Doc@The-Armory

norfdet

Kel-Tec PF9

Post by norfdet » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:46 pm

Ok Marie,

here is another Kel-Tec pistol that is a must have. It is due to be released at the SHOT Show and the site reports that it will be available in May of 2006. Here is the press release from the Kel-Tec website;

http://www.kel-tec.com/pf9pr.htm

As usual, let me know when you can get one and what the cost is.

Thanks

IZZY_T

Post by IZZY_T » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:53 pm

how many rounds have you put through your first kill-tech?

norfdet

Post by norfdet » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:51 pm

IZZY_T wrote:how many rounds have you put through your first kill-tech?
On my way to 1,000 with my 2G P3AT (about 650-700 now) and it has been absolutely flawless. 100% reliable. I have found that those that mock kel-tec's are not only uneducated but also have probably never owned one. They are remarkable and highly under rated pistols. I have owned guns that cost several times more than kel-tec's and they too have failed, had teeting problems, required return trips back to the factory and have been sold off becasue they were felt to be unreliable.

IZZY_T

Post by IZZY_T » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:42 pm

Let me know when/if it's still reliable after 2500-3000 round mark.

That would restore my faith in Kill-Tec. I have shot one, the chaimber had such a defect it as to make firing it dangerous as the brass would bulge to almost bursting. ( Also made extraction problematic, but that is a smaller issue than safety...)

Kill-tec did send a replacement barrel, to their credit.

Former advocates of the KT pistols usualy sour after they shoot a few thousand rounds or more through it. If I had one, I would use it as a "carry much shoot little." And I hate those kind.

Speaking from EXPERIANCE. YMMV.

A more traditional design solid all steel gun like a Feg APK9 would be more inconvinient for you to carry, but is something you could hand down to your son in functioning condition.

Splitter

Post by Splitter » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:55 pm

Thinking about a KT.... the new 9mm looks tasty.
Support Israel!

SigSauer P239 .40SW
SigSauer P230 .380ACP
Glock G27 .40SW
SW Model 10-6 .38SPL

norfdet

Post by norfdet » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:58 pm

Splitter wrote:Thinking about a KT.... the new 9mm looks tasty.
Gee, big suprise there!

norfdet

Post by norfdet » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:15 pm

IZZY_T wrote:Let me know when/if it's still reliable after 2500-3000 round mark.

That would restore my faith in Kill-Tec. I have shot one, the chaimber had such a defect it as to make firing it dangerous as the brass would bulge to almost bursting. ( Also made extraction problematic, but that is a smaller issue than safety...)

Kill-tec did send a replacement barrel, to their credit.

Former advocates of the KT pistols usualy sour after they shoot a few thousand rounds or more through it. If I had one, I would use it as a "carry much shoot little." And I hate those kind.

Speaking from EXPERIANCE. YMMV.

A more traditional design solid all steel gun like a Feg APK9 would be more inconvinient for you to carry, but is something you could hand down to your son in functioning condition.
I will let you know. I don't fool myself into thinking that my P3AT is a target pistol but you would be suprised at how accurate it is for such a little gun with no sights. I am averaging about 200-300 rounds a month through mine so it will take some time for me to get there. You are correct in that most of the people that buy these, they regard them as shoot a little and carry alot pistols. I on the other hand think differently. I regard my 2G P3AT as a shoot when I want to, carry all the time pistol. I have no doubt that I will get to the 3,000 mark without a problem. Alot of the complaints in these pistols are from those that associate inexpensive with cheap or expensive with quality. The other problem was with inexperienced shooters that could not hold on to them and because of their inability to control a weapon, they began to bash them and give them a bad name. That was the single demise of the much regarded P40 some years ago. And becasue of that Kel-Tec stopped producing them. Now with a very (read extreme) successful release of the 2G P3AT they are selling them much faster than they can make them. The PF9 I have no doubt will be better than that. Those that love the Kel-Tec's have been praying for a single stack 9mm from Kel-Tec for some time and now we have one.

When I get mine I will let you know when I get to the 3,000 mark with that one too.

Regards

Splitter

Post by Splitter » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:33 pm

norfdet wrote:
Splitter wrote:Thinking about a KT.... the new 9mm looks tasty.
Gee, big suprise there!
Good lookin' little gun. The P3AT is just ugly... and I can't have an ugly gun. Plus the new 9 is small.. and I could use a small carry like that. I'd rather have a 9mm than a 380.. JMO (and we all know what that is worth).
:mrgreen:
Support Israel!

SigSauer P239 .40SW
SigSauer P230 .380ACP
Glock G27 .40SW
SW Model 10-6 .38SPL

IZZY_T

Post by IZZY_T » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:34 am

I should add the pistol I shot was in .32 and was actualy very egonomic considering it's size, and the pyramid front sight is a great idea.

But it IS a poorly made pistol, it has some of the best Innovation, and the worst of modern American manufacturing practices.

Your criticisims are way off: "uneducated but also have probably never owned one" and "The other problem was with inexperienced shooters that could not hold on to them and because of their inability to control a weapon, they began to bash them and give them a bad name."

Pistols I have shot (Most I owned at one time or another):

Berretta 92,

Berretta BDA .380

CZ 52 7.62X25

Glock 17

Glock 21 (my first handgun :) )

3 Diffrent .380 PPK's (all interarms, all were accurate, only one was reliable or sturdy)

Kill-Tech p32

Walther pp .32

CZ-83

Makarov (bulgi and Commercial russian)

Cz-75

Browning Hi-power

Browning BDA9 (the double version of the HP, and an asome gun)

Heratige Arms Steath

Walther P-38's and one P-1 as well as a P-4 (shorter police P-1)

Walther P-5

NAA Mini Revolver in .22 Mag

Ruger P89, Ruger Mark II

Ruger Redhawk .45 "LC"

EAA Windicator .38 Spl,

Smith and Wesson .357, S&W .38 spl,

Gamba 9mm (simmilar to Tanfolio or CZ)

EAA Colt SAA .45 copy (accurate piece)

Colt Stainless 1991-A1 .45, Colt Blue 1991-A1 .45, various WWII parts .45

HK USP 9mm

HK PM7 (squeeze pistola harder than the kell tec to get used to IMHO)

UZI full Auto as Issued (not really a pistol but considered such in some countries etc.)

"Falcon" Semi- version of the SMG...was a rusty POS when I got it issued in a POS security firm.

Simth .44 magnum (light loads)

Desert Eagle .44 magnum (regular loads, and in a teeny indoor range only the width of the armory's store...sux to be next to it when it fired, all the other chums left us alone to shoot :))

Para Ordanance AR-15 Pistol (loved it)

I'm sure I left out a pistol or two, maybe something I fired or owned...

Here is some info on Kel tech "qaulity" often form the Keltech Owners groups Board itself...these are Kill-Tech LOVERS:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.c ... 1135101699

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/sho ... ht=keltech

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.c ... 1139864311

AND THE KICKER, this dude has the EXACT same problem I saw, and the idiots think it's the springs! Someone register and tell them to call the factory for a new Barrel the chaimber has a defect!

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.c ... 1135049956

norfdet

Post by norfdet » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:40 am

I still think that it is you that is way off. I'll stick with my original statement. Most people that bash them have probably never owned them and the other problem is inexperienced shooters that can't hold on to the gun. This translates into limp wristing and produced jams and other malfunctions. Which in turn, turns people into kool-aid drinking kel-tec bashers with often times very little knowledge of what the real problem is.

If you translate the above statement into something directed at you then you may want to re-evaluate your gun owning experience. If it does not apply to you then you can take it for what it is worth.

All your list shows is that you have owned alot of guns at one time or another. Most on your list I too have had or still own. It still does not demonstrate anything on your part.

I noticed form the above addresses that you have never been to the Kel-Tec Range. I would take what I read at KTOG with a grain of salt but you would be best served registering there and impressing them with you vast knowledge of gun theories. I know for one that I am impressed.

IZZY_T

Post by IZZY_T » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:33 pm

THEN, I suggest you put as many rounds as you can through it, pay for your "fluff and buff", chrome slides, extra mags, Holsters (go for the BEST), dont forget your Keltech shooters Patch.

You ARE better than everyone who has problems with these especialy after a few thousand rounds, YOU will NEVER experiance problems. Everyone else is wimp and full of it, take real life experiances with "a grain of salt" and tallyho!

norfdet

Post by norfdet » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:36 pm

IZZY_T wrote:THEN, I suggest you put as many rounds as you can through it, pay for your "fluff and buff", chrome slides, extra mags, Holsters (go for the BEST), dont forget your Keltech shooters Patch.

You ARE better than everyone who has problems with these especialy after a few thousand rounds, YOU will NEVER experiance problems. Everyone else is wimp and full of it, take real life experiances with "a grain of salt" and tallyho!

Ok... :D