VZ-58 Czech rifle

The discussion of combat rifles and Shotguns

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

BigBill

VZ-58 Czech rifle

Post by BigBill » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:13 pm

There's a new one being offered right now its thje VZ-58 Czech semi-auto in 7,62x39. Its a neat little rifle but the price is $800. Its a different design than the ak47 too. Anythoughts?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:50 am

I like the design. Too bad the mags are unique to the rifle and a little more expensive than AK mags. Action is actually remotely like a P.38 or a Beretta 92 with a block that drops to lock up the action as opposed to a tilting bolt in a bolt carrier like you see with a FAL or some early Czech gas operated guns.

Apparently it's a little more accurate than most AKs, yet lighter and a little better behaved during recoil. I'd love to try one out.

Remember you're paying for a milled receiver and less economy of scale than AK variants. Plus if you wait it out, I've seen the prices slowly coming down on them to $700 range now.

BigBill

Post by BigBill » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:48 pm

Its very hard spending $800 for another rifle in 7,62x39 when the fisrt sks's were so cheap($59). I'd like to get one but i really don't need another sks for $800. But on the other hand.....Well i went browsing today at my local gun shops and seen the norinco sks's going for $499. Since some places are no longer offering the yugo sks's I'm guessing they have finally dried up. We just may see a $750 or $1,000 sks soon. These has been a big jump in surplus military prices lately anyway. The VZ58 doesn't sound too bad. It maybe the last of the semi-auto's in military versions we will ever see.