Saiga 762 x39 Conversion done

The discussion of combat rifles and Shotguns

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

Topmaul

Saiga 762 x39 Conversion done

Post by Topmaul » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:42 am

I bought a Saiga rifle in 7.62x39 I really wanted a 5.56 but could not get one so I settled for the Saiga. I had converted an Saiga 12 shotgun which was much harder than the rifle. I sat down a the kitchen table and did the conversion in a few hours over a few days. If you condsidering doing such a conversion yourself, I have a little advice.

Some Saigas come with the square pistol grip hole already some don't you want one with he hole. You will need to do a little filing but it is no problem.

Make sure you have all the needed Section 922r complince parts on hand before you start.

Visit the www.saiga-12.com forum and check out the technical help section there is a step by step guide to conversion there.

It might be a good idea to join that forum so if you run in to a problem you can ask a question. I had one on my first project and had the correct answer within 15 minutes.

My new gun has a Nato legnth stock, Tapco G2 trigger gourp, a saw style pistol grip and a few other things. I hope to make it my 3 gun rifle.

BigBill

Post by BigBill » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:37 am

I have a few saiga's in .223rem and 308win/nato and there great guns. Nothing can beat the reliability nor the dependability of a Russian AK47. If the 308 saiga was available years ago i would only have purchased them instead of the other 308's.(Cetme) For under $400 for the 308 your getting the best quality gun that the people at Izhmash in Russia have to offer. A saiga in any caliber is a hoot to shoot.

BigBill

Post by BigBill » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:36 pm

I guess we don't have too many saiga owners here. I think the saiga's are a hot ticket. Were buying a brand new russian izhmash ak47 in a sporter wrapper. The saiga is manufactured in the same building as the ak47 by the same people. I think its the hottest thing to hit our shores ever since the very first chinese norinco sks did in the late 80's. Don't pass these awesome shooters up.

My 308 saiga with the 16" barrel at 100yds will shoot 1 1/2" groups using south african 308 ball ammo FMJ. I also have the 223 saiga too but i haven't benchrested it yet.