The surplus hot ticket right now the Swiss K31 7,5mm.....

The discussion of combat rifles and Shotguns

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

BigBill

The surplus hot ticket right now the Swiss K31 7,5mm.....

Post by BigBill » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Did anyone get a Swiss K31 7,5mm rifle yet? Now is the time to get one of these unique straight bolt swiss "watch" rifles they are in awesome condition mainly because they were never used in battle nor had corrosive ammo shot out of them too. If you like surplus guns you should have one of these too while there still around and their affordable too. :!:

norfdet

Post by norfdet » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:57 pm

How much are they and is ammo still readily available?

BigBill

Post by BigBill » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:09 pm

Aim surplus has them for $99, Samco Global Arms has them between $109 to $139 depending on condition, SOG has them for $99 and Century Arms has them from $69(It may have some surface rust & have some pits in Fair condition) to $79 cracked stock to $89 good condition + or-. My best ones so far came from Aim $99 and samco $139 ex cond. I received my oldest swiss 1937 with a walnut stock from Century arms $89 it did clean up and refinish awesome. The others(3) did too but they all have beech stocks. All the bores look awesome too. You have to disassemble the bolt to clean and lube it, its as slick as snot when it operates(straight bolt)

Aim surplus, SOG, century arms all have swiss 7,5mm ammo (surplus) its suppose to be as good as match grade quality ammo.

If you refinish and strip the beech stocks the behlen master solar lux stain "yellow orange" matches the orginal color perfectly. Then i tung oil it for a few coats. I don't sweat out the history marks for they are the history of the rifles handling I leave them on it. It kind of talks to us with the history marks. On some stocks just using a coarse steelwool will clean them up and some may need a light sanding there not too bad. On all 4 rifles i have received so far the bluing has been about 98% perfect for some reason it doesn't match the stocks condition but it sure does look great when its done.
Last edited by BigBill on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigBill

Post by BigBill » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:01 pm

I just received a Swiss K31 in "Fair" condition for $69 from Century Arms. I refinished the stock down to bare wood and steamed the dings/dents out as much as I could. It had very little surface rust and i took steelwool and took some cold bluing and redid the metal were it needed it too. I now have a swiss k31 rifle that is near excellent condition looking realy purdy now. If you want to save some $$ and don't mind doing the work you can still end up with a great looking shooter too. There's not too much difference between my $139 excellent condition swiss to my $69 fair condition swiss after its refinished except the $139 swiss has a beech stock and the $69 swiss is older with the walnut stock but it has a smoother bolt and trigger too.

Century arms is also offering "ufixem" swiss k31's too now for $49. I heard some are just missing a magazine while some of the others are just missing the bolts. There is a chance by buying 4 you may get 3 complete but i think the better buy is the Fair condition for $69.

BTW; While the condition of the stocks & metal may differ between the conditions and prices all the bores look to be in same excellent condition on all of them no matter what the price is.

As we get near the bottom of the barrel on these the condition of the excellent ones aren't like they were in the beginning, but one thing i'm seeing now as i get more of them the wood on the excellent ones still has less dings and dents but the surface finish needs to be redone which just by using a coarse steelwool can remove the old surface finish.

BigBill

Post by BigBill » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:29 pm

Come on guys were talking 3/4" groups @ 100yds using the 7,5mm swiss military ammo thats rated as good as match ammo. With iron sites to boot this is a swiss watch quality built rifle. I like the straight pull bolt too.