First Mosin

The discussion of combat rifles and Shotguns

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

amerkinsquid

First Mosin

Post by amerkinsquid » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:18 am

Just got my first Mosin Nagant M-44 Carbine. It was a little worn and had some light pitting on the bore and exterior of the barrel. However, due to some Birchwood Casey Rust remover and some Naval Jelly the corrosion is gone and the bore and barrel look much better. I have already ordered a new barrel and will have a local gunsmith replace it for me. I will not shoot it until I get it replaced because of the pressure that the round has when fired. I don't want the barrel to blow up in my face. Right now it is my show piece and looks rather well thatks to OUTERS no. 455 stock finishing kit. That is an excellent product and well worth the small amount of money it cost. I'll post some pics later and you can tell me what you think.
Old age and treachery will beat youth and endurance every day. Amerkinsquid

IZZY_T

Post by IZZY_T » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:37 pm

IF you actualy cleared the rust out, had it checked over (headspacing etc.) by a gunsmith, then it should be safe to fire.

A new barrel is a great aid to accuracy, but not a pre-requsite to shooting the puppy.

BigBill

Post by BigBill » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:49 pm

These guns are so affordable its not worth changing out a barrel just buy another one? Samco has them cheap and so does SOG and AIM surplus if you have your C&RFFL. Now is the time to get a few different mosins because there so affordable and while they are available right now too.

Even with a little pitting or slightly corroded barrels some of these military surplus guns can still be very accurate too. If you have cleaned the barrel and still have some distinctive rifling left in her she still should be a great shooter. Its the sewer pipe bores with no rifling left that need to be changed out.