question for the experts

The discussion of combat rifles and Shotguns

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

Topmaul

question for the experts

Post by Topmaul » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:23 pm

I have an Olympic Arms Plinker the gun shoots great no complaints, but I need a flat top upper can I put a Forged Upper on a Cast Lower?

I know, I know, I should have not bought a cast AR, live and learn. So what should I do?

Putting a good red dot on my AR would be great. I'm looking at one of the Russian solar powered red dots. I've had great luck with Russian optics on my weapons in the past.

I guess my point is should I get a forged upper or just save up and buy myself a new AR down the road?

billg
Site Admin

Post by billg » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:29 am

I see no problem at all with switching out the upper for a A3 upper. Just don't try to force anything and bring it in to The Armory if you have any problems.

marcw

Post by marcw » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:05 pm

Putting a forged upper on a cast lower is fine.

Don't worry about the cast hype. I've personally witnessed a cast EA lower survive 15 years and probably 25,000 rounds and it's still going strong!

However, I like the idea of keeping your plinker the way it is and saving for a new AR because you can never have too many ARs :mrgreen:

As far as red-dot optics go check out the Tacpoint or the new SPOT. Both are Aimpoint knock-offs but seem to work fairly well given their respective price ranges.

- Marc

map454

Everyone

Post by map454 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:43 pm

Putting a forged upper on a cast lower is fine.
Okay but i dont that will suit everyone.