Revolver Barrels

Glock, Heckler and Koch, SIG etc.-Certified Armorers and our knowledgeable Members will do their best to answer your gunsmithing questions.

Moderator: Doc@The-Armory

Chuck

Revolver Barrels

Post by Chuck » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:09 pm

This is kind of a 2 part question.

1). How are barrels be removed from the frame on revolvers? I've been wanting to do a decent job of bore-lapping on a S&W 586. I also have Ruger revolvers in case the removal process is different for each.

2). Where can I find rifling buttons for various calibers?

Thanks,
Chuck

Villimus Rex

Post by Villimus Rex » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:18 am

Removing the barrel from revolvers is best left to the smith or the manufacture. Without the correct vise and wrench it is easy to destroy the frame. There are available kits for fire lapping barrels. Specially loaded and lubricated bullets are "treated" with specified polising compounds and fired to polish the bore. I have never done this myself and so can not speak to its effectiveness.
I have no idea where to get rifling buttons. About the only practical way to rifle a barrel in a non industrial setting (small shop or garage) is to cut the grooves one groove at a time as was done in small shops in the 16th - 19th centurys. There are still a few who do this and it is an art that well done is as accurate as any method. Harry Pope and Hacker Martin made barrels like this.

Splitter

Re: Confused

Post by Splitter » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:12 pm

map454 wrote:
Removing the barrel from revolvers is best left to the smith or the manufacture. Without the correct vise and wrench it is easy to destroy the frame. There are available kits for fire lapping barrels. Specially loaded and lubricated bullets are "treated" with specified polising compounds and fired to polish the bore. I have never done this myself and so can not speak to its effectiveness.
I have no idea of what is going on? :o)
Completely and blatantly obvious.
Support Israel!

SigSauer P239 .40SW
SigSauer P230 .380ACP
Glock G27 .40SW
SW Model 10-6 .38SPL