Wolf Ammo

For issues of internal, external, and terminal ballistics.

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

djyintl

Wolf Ammo

Post by djyintl » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:10 pm

I know, I know, with the title up there, many of you have different opinions. Thousands and thousands of discussions on the net regarding this ammo. I heard that they have much improved their products so I ordered a couple of boxes (.40 S&W) from you guys. However, my local range would not allow me to shoot because they said Wolf is not safe at all. They proceeded to show me a dozen pictures of people who got their faces injuried from this type of steel core ammos. Any of you out there really had this happened to you? I have only shot a couple of hundred rounds and don't have much experience on them. Would appreciate your comments.

Diznuff

Just bought 1k rounds.

Post by Diznuff » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:38 pm

I just bought 1k rounds from The Armory in 7.62x39 for my Ak. I shoot it all day with no problem. And yes I would say the quality of the round has improved over the years.

Villimus Rex

Wolf unsafe?

Post by Villimus Rex » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:10 am

Wolf ammo as you might purchase today does indeed use steel cartridge cases but the bullets are copper jacketed with lead cores. The steel cases are if anything stronger than brass. I have woking on firearms since 1981 and have yet to find a brand or type of firearm that would not function correctly or safely with steel cased ammo. Some indavidual guns may not like it but I can also find indavidual guns that won't work well with Federal brand ammo but work fine with everything else.
The bullets used by Wolf are generally conventional copper and lead bullets. The box will say what kind of bullet it has. If in dout take one and cut it in half then show it to the clown at the range.
My experience has lead me to believe the folks running the range are no so much concerned over our safety as they are selling the ammo on their shelves. If you are Mil, ret Mil, police or hold a Gov't ID card, save youself the hassle and go to the USMC range if you live in Tidewater.

djyintl

Wolf Ammo

Post by djyintl » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:49 pm

Hey Rex:

Thanks a lot for the info. The funny thing is that my local range doesn't even sell ammos. My first instinct was the same as yours but you can bring your own ammos into this range (I usually buy them from The Armory!). Anyway, thanks for the good info. I am ret police but no special privileges for ret NYPD folks. Not even CCW license. You have to get it on your own. I live in NJ and that's another state not gun friendly. Thanks again.

Redrum

Post by Redrum » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:40 pm

djyintl...first of all...my condolences for living in the PRNJ....I feel for you and your rights....

Second....I can't tell you how many Wolf rounds I have put through my various firearms...handguns and long guns...The only one that I have that will not funtion properly in is my CETME in .308...but then again...it only functions with Aussie, Portuguese and South African Mil-surp ammo..It rips the case heads of of anything else.

For inexpensive ammo it is great, albeit dirty. But if you clean properly you shouldn't have any problems...even with the 40S&W. I have a XD-40 that will feed it all day and through the night.

djyintl

Post by djyintl » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:55 pm

Redrum:

Thanks for the thoughts. I gave up guns long time ago when I "retired" from the job. Anyway, my young son is very interested in firearms so I picked up again.

By the way, how is you XD-40? I assume that's Springfield XD. I am looking to get one myself.

Thanks again for the info.

Redrum

Post by Redrum » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:53 pm

My XD runs just fine. It currently rides in a fanny pack with me as a backup to whatever I am carrying, as I do not have a carry holster only a competition holster. I like high ride FBI cant leather holsters for carry and haven't gotten one yet for the XD. I used to have the XD-9 as well, but traded the XD-9 and a Browning Hi-Power and a total of 22 mags with a boddy in Philly for a Colt HBar, 40 assorted mags and 1200 rounds of ammo even up. I hated parting with the 2 find pistols, but up until that time I did not have an AR15.

I have run various brands of ammo through it without a problem. For the past couple off years I have been reloading for it for competition. Nary a problem. I like it because of the 1911 style grip angle. It just feels right in my hand and I don't have large hands my any means....

djyintl

Post by djyintl » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:27 pm

Thanks for the good info. Looking at a couple of options and Beretta CX-4 Storm was a prime candidate. Shot a few times at Bob's near Philly and really liked it.

Looks like an XD is in order. Happy shooting!

kestertr

Post by kestertr » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:26 am

I have been shooting my Kimber with wolf ammo and haven't had any problems with it. For the price of the ammo, you can't beat it.
Sig 229 .40
Kimber custom II .45ACP / .22
Marlin 795 .22
Marlin 1895G .45/70
Rugar Mini-14 .223
Remington 700 .308
Winchester 1300 12ga
S&W Mod 57 .41M

Splitter

Post by Splitter » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:47 pm

I hear ya on the Wolf Ammo..... but I'm having a hard time wanting to try it though. I use Aguila almost exclusively and love it. I think since it is almost as inexpensive as the Wolf, I may just stick with the Aguila.

:r
Support Israel!

SigSauer P239 .40SW
SigSauer P230 .380ACP
Glock G27 .40SW
SW Model 10-6 .38SPL

scottc

Not too bad

Post by scottc » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:57 pm

I have used Wolf in every gun I own except for my Kimber. There are two reasons for this, one is the tight toleraces associated with them and two it the thought of putting economy ammo down the barrel of a $1,000 pistol is sort of paradoxical. I do not think there would be any harm to using it and if I got desperate enough I would. But I have used Wolf in my AR15, my Sig P220, my Jerico, my M1A, my Remington 700 .308, (just don't tell Kat that), and if they made a 357 Sig round I would shoot it out of my P229 in a heartbeat. I think Wolf is really one of the best values out there.

Scott

Splitter

Post by Splitter » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:42 pm

K.. I hear ya Scott. But Wolf isn't but a tad cheaper than Aguila. You like Wolf over Aguila for anything other than the cost?
Support Israel!

SigSauer P239 .40SW
SigSauer P230 .380ACP
Glock G27 .40SW
SW Model 10-6 .38SPL

BigBill

Post by BigBill » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:51 pm

I shoot mostly steel cased wolf ammo in all of my guns without a problem. We just shot 500rds of 45acp the other day without a hitch in my new Auto-Ordnance Army WW2 copy 1911a1. Did you know the US used steel cased 45acp ammo in WW2?

BTW; The full length guide rod and 18# recoil spring in the 1911a1/45acp works great.

scottc

Post by scottc » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:53 pm

Splitter wrote:K.. I hear ya Scott. But Wolf isn't but a tad cheaper than Aguila. You like Wolf over Aguila for anything other than the cost?
The cost is a big factor, but to tell you the truth I was actually more impressed with Wolf over other high end brands. The one caliber that comes to mind is .308, I was just as accurate with the .308 out of my M1A as I was with PMC, South African and Remington. The one exception is the Winchester FailSafe ammo in 308. That is by far the most accurate and consistant ammo there is as far as I have shot so far, but you are also paying through the nose for it. At almost $1.40 a round it gets a mighty bit expensive, so I use those for hunting.

Scott

Splitter

Post by Splitter » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:47 pm

Gotcha... For my money, I'll stick with Aguila for practice. It is very affordable, available, and very reliable.

At a gun show, I picked up some ammo from Georgia Arms. Not as cheap as the Aguila mind you, but I'll tell ya.... I went through 10 bags (500rd), and not ONE of them misfed or stovepiped. Great stuff.
Support Israel!

SigSauer P239 .40SW
SigSauer P230 .380ACP
Glock G27 .40SW
SW Model 10-6 .38SPL