Corbon Ammunition

For issues of internal, external, and terminal ballistics.

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

fmrmarine

Corbon Ammunition

Post by fmrmarine » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:10 am

I recently purchased two 20-round boxes of Corbon ammo. The 1st box was 9mm Luger+P 115 grain JHP and the 2nd was 32 Auto 60 grain JHP.
I loaded the 9mm +P JHP into a CZ75B Military and the 32 Auto JHP into a Walther PP 32 cal. In both pistols, I experienced a malfunction - failure to extract not having even fired a round. Here's the sequence:
1. inserted mag - okay;
2. racked the slide to chamber a round - okay;
3. removed mag - okay;
4. racked slide to extract / eject round in chamber - problem. Both of the Corbon JHP rounds - 9mm and the 32 Auto - were stuck in battery to the point that, only after several attempts and lots of force, was I able to finally extract / eject the round.
I then went back and loaded Federal Premium Hydrashok JHPs into both of the weapons, went through the same sequence (above) and had no problem extracting / ejecting the rounds in battery.
Has anybody experienced a similar malfunction with Corbon ammo?
Thanks.

fmrmarine

Corbon Ammunition

Post by fmrmarine » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:22 am

More info...
What astounded me was that precisely the same problem occurred in both pistols -the 9mm CZ75B and in the 32 cal Walther PP. Both weapons are well made, high quality pieces.
Another point. i never shot a round of Corbon out of either gun. I l bought and loaded the Corbon ammo for "carry" only. (I use Winchester or Remington FMJ ball ammo at the range.) Up until this point, I always loaded Federal premium JHPs for carry purposes.
I just recently bought the Corbons precisely because I heard that they are hotter rounds. I loaded the 32 cals into the PP, instead of the Federals, to carry. Later, when I attempted to unload the weapon, I had the problem with extraction. The slide would not rack as it normally does. I had to apply a hell of lot of force and I eventually succeeded in racking the slide. To get the Corbon round out, I had to prise it with the tip if a knife blade.
Then, as an experiment, I went through the same drill with the Corbon 9mm ammo in the CZ75B, only to experience exactly the same malfunction.
Finally, I tried some of my old Federal JHPs in both weapons, and I had no problem extracting Federal chambered rounds.
Just guessing but it could be that the Corbons are designed for a much tighter fit in battery than are the Federals. The increased power of the Corbons possibly generate sufficiently strong slide recoil force to assure extraction.
The next chance that i get, I'm going out to the range to fire both pistols with the Corbons. I'll let you know.
As I said, both pistols are in top condition. No problem with the extractors in either of them.

marcw

Post by marcw » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:56 pm

It sounds like you are on the right track; shoot both and see how they perform. It's been my experience that hand racking the slide is no substitute for the real deal.

Also, one more point I'd like to make: don't carry ammo you haven't tested before. I apologize if you already subscribe to that but just thought it should be said :)

Marie
Site Admin

Post by Marie » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:20 am

Hm, we've sold a lot of the Corbon ammo and I've never had anyone say that they had problems with it. Wonder what's going on. Corbon did come out with a PowRball ammo with a polymer ball over the hollow point so that it would feed more reliably in some firearms. I'm definitely NOT the ballistics expert around here so can't say what might be happening. I do know that some guns will only use certain ammo.

Castonia1

Post by Castonia1 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:10 am

Try polishing the feed ramp if your using hollow point.
Colt Commander 80 Series 1991
Colt Combat Commander
Para-Ordnance Tac Four
Smith & Wesson 4506 A1
Sig 232

God Bless Our Troops!