Wolf, not too shabby

For issues of internal, external, and terminal ballistics.

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

scottc

Wolf, not too shabby

Post by scottc » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:04 am

Ok, I know we all have trashed Wolf ammo one time or another. In years past, the steel cases were coated with gunk, and would jam the works up. In fact I remember my first time using Wolf, when I was 19 or 20, I bought a brick of Wolf .22LR, and after a 200 rounds or so the lacquer was so thick and started to get so hot I was having cook offs. Now at the age of 19 or so, I was like cool I have a Ruger 10/22 rifle with a burst. But that faded quickly once I went home and had to clean my rifle. Lord, can we say a mess. So I disposed of the offending ammo and never went near Wolf untill about six months ago. I started reading they changed the cases and QC had been much improved. With the purchase of and AK-47 (WASR 10) I bought Wolf and shot through a few thousand rounds without missing a beat. Though it was still dirty, and not the most accurate ammo I have seen. But in fairness it was the only 7.62x39 ammo I used. So I had nothing to compare it to. Was most likely the gun and the ammo combined, but alas I will not know. But I recently built a new AR-15 A3 with the help of Scott Astern, boy can he make a trigger feel like glass. After breaking in the barrel with some Winchester and PMC I decided to take Scott's advice and use the Wolf .223 FMJ 62 GR ammo and I was shocked. First off the accuracy was not much off from the PMC, though the Winchester was the best I shot so far. But not by much. If I was using my rifle as a target weapon maybe, but as a plinker or a combat weapon I see no reason to use anything but the Wolf. And here is the kicker, I thought the cleaning would be a nightmare, but it was no worse than the other ammo brands. The only thing I had to work on a little longer was the barrel, but I got more bang for the buck and will not hesitate to use Wolf in my AR.

Scott

marcw

Post by marcw » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:46 pm

The new Wolf stuff is nice. While I wouldn't run it in my Kimber I have not problem running some in my Glocks. I haven't tried the new stuff in my ARs yet...I'll have to pick some up and give it a try.

Villimus Rex

Wolf Ammo

Post by Villimus Rex » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:35 am

Tried Wolf .308 the other day in my FAL. It seemed to shoot as well as the Port. FNM and Austrian MilSurp I had on hand. While of new fabrication, it sells for prices associated with surplus ammo.