Ammo prices??

For issues of internal, external, and terminal ballistics.

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

BigBill

Ammo prices??

Post by BigBill » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:17 pm

I knew the ammo prices were going up on everything with the prices of scrap metal at an all time high so sooner or later it had to happen. It sure has cut down on the rounds we were shooting and its almost time to reload again. The 7,62x39 and 223 wolf ammo isn't too bad and the surplus 8mm and 7,62x54 is still available for right now but who knows? I see all the cheap south african 308 ball ammo has dried up too. Well we just maybe shootin the old standby 22's soon again too. It just maybe time to tweek out a 10/22 I was kind of laughing at those guys with the bigger bore ammo so affordable but it makes sense now. With one of the last ammo shortages the 7,62x39 was back at $59 for 1,000rds so maybe when the prices drop it will go low but maybe not that low but i hope it does. At least the 7,62x39 never stayed at $200 a case.

BigBill

Post by BigBill » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:43 am

Do you think the prices on the new ammo will ever come down again?

Will we see the russian imported 7.62x39 ammo @ $59/1,000rds again?

Everytime the ammo prices have climbed beyond our belief they have gone down below what they were before they went up.

Does the ongoing war have something to do with it? What do you think?

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:35 am

The war certainly has a little to do with cutting down on supply a bit. A few other things cutting into supply was the UN getting involved with South Africa after a couple billion rounds of surplus ended up with a German company called Armscor, who instead of de-milling the stuff in accordance with their end user agreement, shipped the stuff directly to a bunch of South American countries and places on the IANSA watch-list.

Other things affecting prices: raw materials used for ammunition are also used in consumer electronics. China is the world's leader in manufacturing consumer electronics and she is sucking up more of the market share every year, thus more raw materials have been ending up in China. The demand for electronics has exploded in recent years and will likely continue to increase (unless the US market truly goes into recession and folks opt to not buy those electronics). Raw materials take energy to ship and convert into finished products and the price of energy is almost triple of what it was four years ago.

So my prediction is another price hike from the ammo manufacturers this year. The American economy officially goes into recession in six to nine months. Then ammo prices will stagnate as the rest of the world economy catches up into the same recession the US economy is in. Then we'll see small roll back of ammo prices in about a year.

scottc

That sucks

Post by scottc » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:56 am

Can't your put on your rose colored glasses and just lie to me and tell me everything is going to be fine?

AlsoKnownAs

Post by AlsoKnownAs » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Yeah, kind of sticker shock. Coming off the side lines and checking the prices this morning. AKA

:r
The Beatings Will Continue Untill Morale Improves

BigBill

Post by BigBill » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:04 pm

I been getting the shooting bug again but i hate to use any ammo out of my stock without being able to replace it.

I'm seeing a lot of; "OUT OF STOCK" all over the internet at different places. I'm not seeing much 9mm makarov ammo at all. I figure i'll stock up on 45acp and 9mm luger were i can. So far The-Armory has my business just like before.

The bottomline is I'd rather shoot cheap loaded ammo than reload. I don't mind reloading but i ran 6,000rds 308 win ammo not too long ago. With another 6,000rds to go yet. I need a break sometime.

When i purchased my 338winmag i purchased many boxes of ammo with it. I thought that $25 a box was haed to take just look at it now. My rifle is a remington 700 and she'll put two bullets thru the same hole at 100yds if i do my part. I purchased reloading dies anyhoo, i figure once my ammo stock is chewed up i'll reload. Right now I shoot it once to check the sight in to go hunting so 1 box will last me a longtime.

I could never figure out this rifle because its so accurate with winchester ammo and so inaccurate with remington ammo. My 30-06 was the sameway but i ended up reloading for it because it was inaccurate with any ammo. With the 06 i was so upset with it i ran a few boxes of military FMJ to get the burrs out of the barrel. Now it shoots nickle sized 3 shot groups.

dave
Site Admin

Post by dave » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:43 am

I know what you mean about ammo. My two expensive monsters are a .50 BMG and a .416 Rem Mag. Fortunately (I guess), Uncle has kept me out of reach of my guns for sometime now, so my stockpile has grown quite large. I may have to shoot some up when I get home from here :D

Odd article I read in a gun mag a couple weeks ago--it did a comparison of ammo prices in the 50's and ammo prices now--we were spoiled in the 90's and early 2000's! By comparison of buying power, the higher ammo prices now are back to where they were in the 50's and 60's.

BigBill

Post by BigBill » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:42 pm

I don't know why the 9mm largo ammo went up?