Ammo chocices for new Sig 239?

For issues of internal, external, and terminal ballistics.

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

flyinghog

Ammo chocices for new Sig 239?

Post by flyinghog » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:25 pm

Hi group;

This is my first post. I have just ordered a Sig 239 from The Armory and they, and I, are waiting for delivery from Sig.

In anticipation of getting and shooting my pistol, I am researching ammunition and trying to find two kinds: range ammo that I can afford to shoot freely...in the neighborhood of $200/1000rounds, and personal defense/concealed carry ammo.

Do any of you have any advice about these two needs? Any experience out there with how the Sig 239 likes one type of ammo over another? What about the ammo that "explodes" on impact...or shortly thereafter?

I would like to order fodder for the gun before it gets here so I can head right out to the range.

Thanks

Newbie, Larry

scottc

Ammo

Post by scottc » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:17 pm

I will eat anything you feed it. I have one in 9mm and no issues. Did I order you a SAS? If so you might want to avoid S&B as their primers are a bit hard.

Scott

flyinghog

Thanks Scott...how about sights?

Post by flyinghog » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:25 pm

Hi Scott;

Yes you ordered Sig 239s for both my friend and me.

I wondered about that brand ammo, thanks for the heads up.

I posted on the gunsmithing page a question about whether y'all sell LaserMax sights and the cost to have The Armory install one before you ship my pistol. Comment?

Larry

flyinghog

Scott, I just realized I didn't answer your question:

Post by flyinghog » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:26 pm

Yes you ordered Sig 239s in SAS for the two of us. Or at least, that is what we ordered from you.

Larry

Splitter

Post by Splitter » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:33 pm

I use Aguila for practice, it is inexpensive, not cheap. I have never had any kind of misfeed (FTF) with that ammo. Ask Scott for the web pricing, it'll take a buck a box off the price.

I like to use Golden Saber carry ammo. I think it is about $14 a box. You can use Speer Gold Dot as well, it is pretty good and about the same price.

You should use what works for you. If your 239 is in 9mm, an inexpensive defense load is the Winchester JHP ammo in the box of 50, it's like $10 a box or less. Bang for the buck.

I personally don't like Winchester, but what works, works. Scott is right, the P239 will eat anything you put in it.

Again, my preference for practice is Aguila, carry is Golden Saber.
Support Israel!

SigSauer P239 .40SW
SigSauer P230 .380ACP
Glock G27 .40SW
SW Model 10-6 .38SPL