Hampton Roads Three Gun

Open Forum and Conduct Rules

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

Topmaul

Hampton Roads Three Gun

Post by Topmaul » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:25 pm

We need a regular scheduled 3 gun match around here! How many of you folks would be interested? I just hate to have to drive to Richmond or Oxford NC every month. I think if we can point to this tread we may be able to talk some one into hosting a match in this area. I know the boys at Blackwater have bigger fish to fry but that range over in Pungo they may host a match.

I really enjoy those Tactical Shotgun matches at Norfolk County Rifle Range.

Diznuff

Post by Diznuff » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:05 pm

I would bite on something like that. would be wonderful.

Redrum

Re: Hampton Roads Three Gun

Post by Redrum » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:00 pm

Topmaul wrote:We need a regular scheduled 3 gun match around here! How many of you folks would be interested? I just hate to have to drive to Richmond or Oxford NC every month. I think if we can point to this tread we may be able to talk some one into hosting a match in this area. I know the boys at Blackwater have bigger fish to fry but that range over in Pungo they may host a match.

I really enjoy those Tactical Shotgun matches at Norfolk County Rifle Range.
Well it doesn't take a genius to figure out who this is!! :D :D :D

The problem is that there are no ranges that are big enough to hold one. Black Creek in Midlothian has one a month. Blackwater is just to busy to allow 7-10 bays to be taken up. Were still working on Blackwater, but until things slack off down there (and I wouldn't hold my breath) I can't see it happening.

D.R. Middlebrooks, Tactical Shooting Academy is working on some 3-gun tactical matchs. When I find out about them I'll let you know.

Other than these options, it looks like The Rang in Oxford, NC is your best bet...I'm looking myself....

Topmaul

Post by Topmaul » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:14 am

Redrum,

I was very disapointed with the last two matches I went to in Oxford. They had a minimum round count, the way I feel about it is that I did not drive three plus hours to shoot less than 75 rounds of rifle, pistol, and shotgun, total. One time in the shotgun stages reloads were not needed. One stage we had to load three rifle mags with 3 rounds each give me a break. It seems like they consider the matches a pain in the a_ _ and just want to get people the heck out of there as fast as possible so they can make thier tee time.

Also Fayettville NC has a pretty cool matches.
I want to a match a Range 1 just north of Fayetteville and it was really cool 52 rounds min for the shoot house, and you do it twice once with rifle and once with pistol.

They had a 15 round slug stage,
Then you do it with the rifle but this time it's 3 shots per target two body one head on each target.
then a pistol stage where you fire at over twenty steels and some moving targets.
Then do it with the shotgun using bird shot. Saiga Friendly stages.

That had to be by far the best 3 gun match I have so far shot in.

Watching Army Soldiers in action is great those guys are really good.

Redrum

Post by Redrum » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:04 am

I'm surprised to hear that about the Oxford matches. They have always had a good rep for good matches....

Fayettevill is a bit of a hike as well....We need to find someplace close to do something...At Black Creek I can't use my .308...gotta use .223....

Topmaul

Post by Topmaul » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:07 pm

Maybe it was an off day for them but that's my opinion. I drove 7 hours, there and back and shot around 75 rounds yeah I was a bit upset. As I recall none of the shotgun stages required a reload, you could only put a max of 10 rounds in a rifle mag. I recall them saying "all mags hold 10 rounds"

I guess they wanted to even the playing field, On the field of battle there is no even ground!

I got an e-mail from Rang 1 in Fayetteville they are no longer hosting 3 gun matches.

I'm thinking about trying Trigger Time also in Fayetteville, they seem pretty good. It's a haul but I have family down that way.

http://www.freewebs.com/trigger-time/ I'll let you know how things are.

http://www.3gunmatch.com/ this is a great link for 3 gun fun

swabjocky

Post by swabjocky » Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:58 am

I'd be interested in something local. I shot one once in the military but the fees and travel for some of the meets becomes prohibitive.

Topmaul

Post by Topmaul » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:12 pm

Fees at "the RANGE" in Oxford NC are $20.00 and BlackCreek out side Richmond VA is about the same. Your looking at $20.00 for entry fees, Ammo, gas, and lunch. That's about it. If anyone wants to go to a match post it here and maybe we can get a car pool and at least split the coat of gas. I'd really like to shoot some of these matches.

Like I said earlier it would be great if we could get someone here in the Tidewater area to host a match.

Be sure and come to the next Tactical Shotgun match at Norfolk County Rifle Range. My son and I love that match. Redurm, I think I'm going to break down and join the club would you sign for me? You do let advanced shotgun guys join, right?

Redrum

Post by Redrum » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:10 am

Topmaul....Great!! Yeah we let the "advanced" shotgunner join!!! I'll get you an app at the next shotgun match on the 22nd!!

Topmaul

Post by Topmaul » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:34 am

Roger That

Topmaul

Post by Topmaul » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:24 pm

Redrum,
Eric says he is going to beat me this time. I guess he is tired of cleaning the Black Dragon after the tac shotgun match. So watch out here he comes.

Did I read the BlackWater Steel Challenge right, is there a .22 division? If so that would be great because I just put a red dot on my Ruger Mk II.

Regards
John

Redrum

Post by Redrum » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:22 pm

Eric has been getting better!! You better watch out OLD MAN!!! :D :D :D

Yes...I'm going to be shooting a .22 this time.....

Topmaul

Post by Topmaul » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:36 am

Eric would have beaten me at the last tac shotgun match if it was not for the fact that I screwed up the elavation on the front site. Which was an accident. What happened was well I have that AR front site and I turned it the wrong way. The gun was shooting way low so I thought I had adjusted it up but adjusted it further down. When it was not getting better between his stages. I started turning it the other way and got it about right when I shot. The kid did pretty well considering he was just point shooting with out using the sites. This time the sites are sit correctly and I have threaded the barrel for Winchester Chokes so maybe with a modified choke I can hit some of the birds. The Russian idea of a Full Choke is pretty much between F and XF so it was a pretty tight pattern and was shooting way low.

Bottom line is he is going to be competitive this time.

Redrum

Post by Redrum » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:13 am

Sights???? Shotguns have sights??? Where have I been??? LOL I pretty much point shoot anything out to 30 yds anyway....I guess we'll have to keep an eye on you after you shoot and before Eric does to make sure you don't ""adjust" the sights for him!!! LOL

Terryhan05

3 gun

Post by Terryhan05 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:47 pm

I would just not on sundays. Got to spend that at church and with the family. I know i would be there at least every other month if not every. :D :D :r