Open Carry And Concealed Carry.

Open Forum and Conduct Rules

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

Diznuff

Open Carry And Concealed Carry.

Post by Diznuff » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:29 pm

I get asked all the time as I am sure you guys get it too.

Here are 2 links for rules on open and concealed carry.

Concealed Carry - http://www.packing.org/

Open Carry - http://www.opencarry.org/

Hope this answers a few questions for people.

billg
Site Admin

Post by billg » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:58 pm

:D Diznuff, thank you for posting these links to the forum. They both have excellent information for concealed carry and open carry. :D

Villimus Rex

Post by Villimus Rex » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:18 am

Just my humble opinion. Open carry even when leagal is just begging for trouble. You will have to deal with overzealous cops and terrified little old ladies. Additionally I do not believe this will deter a thug who is plotting your demise. You have just helped him develop his plan of attack by showing him what you have and where it is. Better I think to keep everyone in the dark untill the moment of truth arives. :sg

Splitter

Post by Splitter » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:14 pm

I agree completely. I'd rather surprise someone than for them to already know what they are dealing with.
Support Israel!

SigSauer P239 .40SW
SigSauer P230 .380ACP
Glock G27 .40SW
SW Model 10-6 .38SPL

Diznuff

Post by Diznuff » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:17 pm

I would have to disagree. I open carry 24/7 and havn't had a problem yet. Most law enforcement officers in Virginia know the deal and don't even bother. I go into every store,restaurant,gas station or what have you with open carry and I get eye balled every once in a while and never have a problem. Little old ladies arn't usually the ones peeking either. As for the thugs subject I choose to disagree. Many people explain this by the "halo" theory. By carrying open the people around you are protected by violence in a "halo" around you because of it.

Splitter

Post by Splitter » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:05 pm

Hmmm... didn't think of it that way. I still like concealed better, for me. But, I wouldn't have a problem open carrying.
Support Israel!

SigSauer P239 .40SW
SigSauer P230 .380ACP
Glock G27 .40SW
SW Model 10-6 .38SPL

scottc

My comrad gunsmith

Post by scottc » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:36 pm

You and I see eye to eye on many issues. But open carry is not on of them. I have opened carried in Virginia for over a year. Throughout the year I was asked to leave only one place of business, Blockbuster. So now I spend my money at other video renal places. But I open carry into resturants, because I have to, if the serve booze. But the main reason I open carry is really two fold. One, a right not exercised will be a right forsaken. The second reason I open carry, it is damn hard to conceal some of the big hunks of metal I lug around. And there is a third, reason. I do not see why I have to change the way I dress from day to day in order not to scare the sheep. Like I said I have carried all over Virginia, including Chesapeake, and not one LEO has ever said boo. They know the law of the land now. Thanks to VCDL anyways.

Scott :n

Diznuff

Post by Diznuff » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:18 am

Last week I wen't to the DMV next to military highway and a Deputy Sheriff asked me for my permit for handgun. I told him I didn't need one for open carry. He had no idea what I was talking about. He called his supervisor and was informed correctly. That is the only incident I ever had. I also second the "A right unexersized is a right lost".

Redrum

Post by Redrum » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:16 pm

Depending on where I am going and which handgun I am carrying will determine if I open carry or conceal. Around my area I mainly open carry. The business's here are used to seeing me with a S&W 625 on my hip. Never say anything...guess they think I'm a LEO.

I once was questioned early on a Saturday morning at a Miller mart by an elderly woman as to why I carry. I told here for my protection and yours. She said when did that start that I could carry??? I asked here if she had ever hears of the 2nd A...She went off in a huff. This was paraphrased...there was more going on inbetween and I knew that she wasn't going to let it go, so I had to put the brakes on it otherwise I would still be there trying to explain it....To each his/her own...

I've never had a LEO ask me about it. I routinly walk by a few State Tropers at a certain Exxon station on Saturday mornings. We exchange good mornings and other than that nothing is said and I don't get strange looks...

VApistol45

Regarding Open Carry

Post by VApistol45 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:14 pm

Open carry brings attention to you, the fewer who know I carry the better I like it. The less attention I bring to myself the better my chance of surviving an encounter.

Just my choice, others may think differently, and if open carry works for you, and you are comfortable with it, then by all means, open carry. After all, VA is an open carry state.
"Don't Look Up To Champions....Be One"

"Molon Labe"

shotgunn83

Limited to concealed carry in my mind.

Post by shotgunn83 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:48 pm

I have a CCW and am a college student. Lately there have been robberies and shootings around campus, so I have been carry 24/7 on campus for a while. Being around so many people, especially in a class room atmosphere, I feel it is better for me to conceal, but it is extremely limiting to my choice of clothing from day to day. Maybe one day I'll say "what the hell" and just start carrying openly, but for now it's undercover.

Splitter

Post by Splitter » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:06 pm

I'd conceal carry if I were you..... there are many ways to conceal... once you find what is comfy for you...
Support Israel!

SigSauer P239 .40SW
SigSauer P230 .380ACP
Glock G27 .40SW
SW Model 10-6 .38SPL

Castonia1

Post by Castonia1 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:28 am

I'm a CCW holder who also open carries at times. On one Saturday morning I needed to buy some auto-parts at a neighborhood auto parts store. I got the parts I needed and while paying at the register, the store employee, who was giving me my change politely asked me a question. Why do I have to open carry a firearm? My reply was for my protection and for others who is around me. He in formed me that the companies policy is, if your being robbed just give them what they want, ''Do Not Resist''! We are bonded and have the Insurance. Please sir, next time when you shop in our store, leave you firearm either locked up in your car or at home. I asked him if his insurance company, can replace a human life if one or more was lost during a robbery, that went bad? His answer was no. I reminded him that its legal to open carry in the state of Virginia. I'm a law bidding citizen who abides with the law and has CCW Permit. I also asked him does he know or ever herd of the 2nd Amendment? He just smiled at me.
So I told him that I will boycott his store and will let my friends and fellow gun owners know not to shop here anymore. Maybe then the store company will change their policy.
The auto part store is in Chesapeake off Kempsville Blvd.
Colt Commander 80 Series 1991
Colt Combat Commander
Para-Ordnance Tac Four
Smith & Wesson 4506 A1
Sig 232

God Bless Our Troops!

Castonia1

Heres a idea

Post by Castonia1 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:42 am

Only if The-Armory Forum doesn't object to:

1) Start a list of Gun Friendly Restaurants and Stores in Virginia area & North Carolinia.

2) Gun Friendly Attorny's

:D

Let me know what you think about it.
Colt Commander 80 Series 1991
Colt Combat Commander
Para-Ordnance Tac Four
Smith & Wesson 4506 A1
Sig 232

God Bless Our Troops!

scottc

Hmm lets see...

Post by scottc » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:28 pm

The gun friendly attorney list is a great idea. As far as listing gun unfriendly businesses I'd have to defer that one to the owner. Though in my opinion I would say no. The reason why is this forum is not an independent website. It is owned and operated by the owners and staff of The Armory. Since there is active moderation on this board some comments if allowed to stay up could be construed as The Armory supporting said statements.

Since this is a business as well, my first reaction would be to shy away from attacking other businesses in the local area. No need to start a pissing contest. No if other members are interested in the names of the business in question private emails would be in order. Hence you are more than welcome to email me at scott_cohen2001(at)yahoo.com with said name.

Bill if I am off the mark please feel free to step in and correct me.

Scott