Arsenal advice for a ship

Open Forum and Conduct Rules

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

mkramer

Arsenal advice for a ship

Post by mkramer » Sat May 21, 2005 11:37 pm

What's up, the name's Mason. I have a few questions for yall :)

I'm fixing up a sailboat with plans to take it on some long voyages. If you're interested, it's an old Islander 32. But anyway, some parts of the world are wilder than they are here in the States. Before I leave, I need to arm her for defense against piracy and I need concealed weapons for myself and my crew to carry in the streets when I come in to port. So I'm looking at a few handguns and a few rifles. Since the guns will be stored onboard a ship they have some extra requirements, specifically they must be as resistant to corrosion as possible and as small as possible.

For handguns, I was thinking revolvers would be better, because they seem like they would be more reliable when dirty, and if they don't fire you can pull the trigger to get a different bullet. And I want small, small, small. I've never carried a concealed weapon and I'm worried about it. Some countries that I port in may not even allow guns, so I don't want to show that I'm carrying. I've been considering the Smith & Wesson 340PD. I like it because the hammer doesn't have a flange on it that could get caught, the finish isn't shiny, it's very small and has a 1 7/8" barrel and only weighs 12 ounces. And I guess Smith and Wesson is a reputable manufacturer of guns, but I don't know. What do you guys think? Do these scandium alloy guys hold up to corrosion? Do they fire when dirty? Would you trust your life with it? What caliber? Do you even sell em?

For the cabin, I need some heavier weaponry. Though it's unlikely, there are still places in the world where piracy is practiced. The most active piracy zone in the world is actually the Carribean, not Micronesia. Typically pirates are opportunists; they like to sneak onboard your ship at night from small, quiet Boston Whalers and slit your throat, then use your ship to run drugs. So in dangerous places it's best to keep a watch armed with at least a pistol.

But even today there are those who make a living by attacking private vessels in international waters away from national defenses; this kind uses 40' motor yachts with a bunch of outboard motors on the back. They travel fast and attack slower boats with a crew holding AK-47's. I've heard too many tales from sailors who were chased by such pirates and forced to hold them off with handguns and single-shot rifles against superior firepower. The truth is, though, they're cowards, if you shoot at them they usually go away, being unwilling to risk their own necks. I need some rifles onboard 'just in case' I run into this kind of pirate. Ideally I'd have some M4 carbines onboard. But, I'm a civilian and can't buy them... right? I don't understand the gun laws and the internet is confusing me. What the hell is pre-ban and post-ban? I know Clinton passed an "assault rifle ban" in 1994, but didn't that expire last year? Well, anyway, I need some advice for a serious carbine that is _compact_ (Short barrel, collapsible buttstock, etc.). Am I understanding it correctly that it's legal to buy m4-like semiauto guns with 16" barrels but not 14.5" barrels? What's the big difference anyway? Well, anyway I've typed long enough, but advice on carbines to consider would be appreciated :)

Topmaul

Post by Topmaul » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:56 pm

Consider a shotgun of one of those marine stainless steel versions. Also there is a leagality question in various countries. An M-4 type could be a little hard to explane in some parts of the world. But a pump shotgun would be understandable by most reasonable people. Also a shotgun offers versitility of selecting many different types of shot.

Wayne The Shrink

Post by Wayne The Shrink » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:02 pm

Also consider the AR frame with a Beauwolf 50 upper mounted. Big hole and semi auto. It would take some attention, but sailors for years used steel cutlasses and muskets, so it must be possible to keep a steel gun useable. This would be a cabin gun that is designed to put big holes in the waterline of pursuing craft. Might damage some ankles, too!

Other than that I would look at the Ruger SS semiauto rifles. Based on the M1 and14 bolt system, they are reliable and infinately more accurate than an AK. They are also noticably not military issue, i.e. they are sporting arms that are as useful as many military arms.
There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me.

Topmaul

Post by Topmaul » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:45 pm

Wayne,
I dissagree a little, I would go with something which I could find ammo for all over the world like 9mm or .380 for a pistol. I agree I'd stay away from the "assult Rifle" look. Another thing if your ammuniton gets wet with salt water you'll need to replace it if your using some odd ball American ammuniton well your SOL in many parts of the world.

I just think an 870 or a Mossberg would not lead to customs trouble in some third world country. A 12 guage slug makes a great big hole and a few rounds of buckshot will clear the enemy's decks.

AK's just shout criminal intent.

If you have an AR or AK the government officials you run in to might think durg smuggler if you have a shotgun they will most likely think smart sailor. It just gives you more plausible denibility.

When you enter a port you will have to comply with local gun laws you have no excemption because your an America.

Also the chances of hitting a man on a fast moving boat a long range from a rocking vessle is slim. Long range is not a factor. Another reason for a shotgun.

You come up on deck with a 12 guage they'll give you the respect you need.

Good Luck with what ever you pick.

Redrum

Post by Redrum » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:21 pm

Good advice here....a 12ga...with slugs and buckshot and maybe some birdshot.

For handguns, while I love wheelguns, if I was traveling like that I would have a wheelgun under my pillow, but in the towns for protection...(now for those that know me this will be a shock...) a Glock or a Springfield Armory XD-40. People will say that the XD isn't proven. I've been carrying one for almost 4 years and have never had a hickup with it. I like the grip angle better on the XD, but a Glock may fit your hand better than mine.

It is said that for home protection, the only reason that you have a handgun is to clear a path to your long gun (shotgun). There is alot of truth to that, although not everyone holds to it...

Topmaul

Post by Topmaul » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:14 pm

Down here in Moyock, NC there is a stainless Winchester 1300 in our only gun shop. This would be perfect for you if you choose a shotgun you'll want to come out and shoot it at the Tactical Shotgun match that Redrum puts on they are great.

If you don't want to shoot it would be worth while to watch the match and keep a good eye on some to the Pump shotgun shooters (you know who you are) you'll see what to do and what not to do.

Redrum is the best pump shooter I have ever seen. I just can't believe how fast and accuratly he shoots. I hope he never buys a Saiga.