Concealed Carry vs Open Carry

Open Forum and Conduct Rules

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

VApistol45

Concealed Carry vs Open Carry

Post by VApistol45 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:48 pm

Assuming a valid VA chp

I know that there are two schools of thought on lawful carrying of a handgun, and VA allows both open and concealed carry, and we Virginians do have a choice.

I would be interested in knowing why some prefer open carry over concealed. (Presuming we are all carrying for the same reasons -protection and self defense.)

Please understand that there is no hidden agenda here, just curiousity.

I am aware that VCDL encourages open carry.

As for myself, I do not open carry. I prefer not having anyone know I have a gun on my person. The fewer people who know I carry, the better I like it. I also try very hard to be non confrontational. My gun is for dealing with a threat...not for conversation with strangers.
"Don't Look Up To Champions....Be One"

"Molon Labe"

marcw

Post by marcw » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:45 pm

I subscribe to the fewer people who know the better school of thought.

I have opened carried a couple of times but I would prefer have the element of surprise on my side. I do encourage open carry but I just don't think its for me. I want to maintain a low profile until the last possible second.

Diznuff

Post by Diznuff » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:44 am

another topic on here has this similar discussion on it. I choose to open carry for several reason.
1. To educate LEO's about the law of virginia. believe it or not many don't know its legal to open carry.

2. A right unexersized is a right lost

3. Some say it gives a "Halo" effect. That because you have your gun in sight those near you feel safer from danger.

4. I would hope that my practice of open carry would desensitize all the liberal fuckers who think all guns are bad. And when they see a 22 year old white boy of my size and dress walk past them and everything on earth still continues as normal that guns arn't bad...bad guys with guns are bad.