I just wrote my Rep. from NY, wonder if he will respond?

Expression your opinion about are current political organizations.

Moderator: Doc@The-Armory

scottc

I just wrote my Rep. from NY, wonder if he will respond?

Post by scottc » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:59 pm

Hon. Peter King,

First I'd like to thank you for your many years of service to our country and the great state of New York.

I will try to make this letter brief, but I'd first like to tell you a little about myself.

I am from Long Beach, NY, but I am currently on active duty with the U.S. Navy, stationed in Norfolk, VA. While going to college I considered myself left of center, very liberal in almost every aspect of life. I was a true believer in government. I thought my government held all the answers to all the problems. As I matured I started seeing things in a new light. I joined the Navy, and set out on a new career. I joined for many reasons, but not the one I feel most obligated to today. Back when I joined in 1999, I was trying to make a life for myself, trying to find my way and most of all get away from my Jewish parents. Today when someone ask why I serve, I say with the deepest conviction, "It is for the defense of personal freedoms and the banner of liberty enshrined in the Constitution."

I had read the Constitution in school, but this was a long time ago, so I took it out and read it again. I figured it was a good idea, since I took an oath to defend it. I learned a great deal from rereading the Constitution and the Bill of Right. For me this was not enough, I was amazed at the minds of our founding fathers, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, John Adams, James Madison, George Mason and others who risked everything for freedom's sake. I went on to read the federalist papers and then the personal letters from Jefferson and Adams. I was never so proud to be an American after knowing how much thought these men put into the future of our country.

One thing these men all cherished was personal freedom. They preach personal freedom over and over again, from their personal writings to the Constitution itself. The questions I pose to you as my representative is this. Why does my government think they know what is best for me? Why does the government think it should have say into areas the constitution says it has no power to venture into? This concerns me a great deal Mr. King. I am here defending the freedoms my fore fathers shed their blood for, all the while my government is seemingly trying to strip them from the people one by one.

What I ask of you is a brief and honest answer why this is happening and what your thoughts are on how this can be changed. I know you are in big government's camp, and I forgive you. I had to leave NY before I could see the light. Even Davy Crocket was corrupted by the politics of Washington D.C..

I have met you personally and I know there is no malice in your heart. You are a good man with strong values.

I hope this letter finds you in good health and God's speed. By no means do I intend to be disrespectful in this letter.

v/r
Scott Cohen, JO1(SW), USN

Splitter

Post by Splitter » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:20 pm

Hey Scott... hope he responds.
Support Israel!

SigSauer P239 .40SW
SigSauer P230 .380ACP
Glock G27 .40SW
SW Model 10-6 .38SPL

Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:07 pm

Mr. Cohen

This is your Congressman. Thanks for the letter, just one question. What's the Constitution?

hehehe
Be always ready for war

Splitter

Post by Splitter » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:13 pm

Hey Scott... I'll bet you get a response, a canned one. It was a great letter, but I'll bet he gets 100+ letters and emails a day.

I hope he personally responsds to your letter.

/Chris
Support Israel!

SigSauer P239 .40SW
SigSauer P230 .380ACP
Glock G27 .40SW
SW Model 10-6 .38SPL

Jay

Post by Jay » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:11 pm

Great letter Scott,

I am from the island also, i went today at a local gun shop and looked into seeing what they had in Kimbers. He had 2 in his case and not really to aggresive in ordering one for me.

In our discussion, i was told that out east in Yaphank (Police headquarters) where i have to go for registering the gun on my permit. As well as pick up the purchase order, they (Yaphank ) are not open on Sat. or a late nite during the week (Thrusday) i believe it was, anymore like they use to do.

Mon thru Friday no later than 4:30 pm. i just started a job where i am on a 1 year probation period, and i get home if i am lucky by 4:30. I dont have any sick time or vacation time accumalated until the 1 year probation period is over.

So you see the great state of N.Y is at it again. I was on the computer looking at Kimbers and came across this site (The Armory) I like what i see here so i figure i join the forum. I am trying to scrap up for an Eclipse compact 3" model. Dont have the proper normanclature down yet, as you can tell.

I am wondering how i am going to go about getting to and from police headquarters in that time slot. The new hours started about a year ago from what i was told. As the gun shop owner told me " Its just another way N.Y is trying to discourage the average citizen from purchasing a pistol ".

Up until now i was self employed, so i could have re-routed my schedule, its enough to get you disgusted, to say the least. I will have to figure something out, or they will win i must persavere. I am afraid of whats coming next.

Reminds me, Gun shop owner also said something about they are making it harder to get a pistol permit. Something to the extent of dragging the paperwork, taking 3 months to get an interview.

Two winters ago, my part time job at one of the local gun shop/indoor ranges was terminated when we were forced to close shop. Owner was retiring to move down south, he had a person to buy the range. The new owner wanted to make to do the right thing, make improvements and bring in more stock. He seemened like a good guy and even wanted to keep the old staff as he was a regular customer.

He retained lawyers for the bussiness transaction, and ended up losing money as it was not going to happen. Landlord got pressure from the town, Insurance was going to be astronomical. Cut to the chase, the points were torned down, place was gutted and we now have a new hip-hop clothing store in its place.

I went to shoot today at one other range, saw some of the old crew. Had to wait an hour and a half to get a point. Place is alot smaller than the one i worked at. At least it is still here, so i am not complaining. Got a chance to shoot a friends Raptor, 4" model nice and accurate. which brings me back here to the present.

If this place God forbid closes. I am seriouly going to look into buying some land in upstate N.Y, just to have some place to shoot. My wife will love that one.

anyway, enough of my depressing news. I only wanted to vent a little after hearing Scotts news. And i will try to look into purchasing my Kimber, hopefully sooner than later. Hopefully we can work out a transfer when i save some more green.

I want to say hi to everyone, and thankyou for the opertunity to be a member of this great forum. I am looking foward to chit chating with fellow members, and hopefully be able to offer some sound advice from time to time.

God bless, stay well, Jay