Rifle cleaning, need some suggestions.

General discussion of all rifles and shotguns.

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

Techguy

Rifle cleaning, need some suggestions.

Post by Techguy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:33 pm

Well I picked up my first rifle at a gun show this weekend. I got a Lee Enfield No.1 Mk III. Since this is my first rifle, I'm not sure what cleaning materials I'll need. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be any brushes or bore snakes for a .303, so what size should I get to clean it? Is there an all in one cleaning kit I can buy that will have everything? Any info would be great, because I'm clueless about rifle cleaning.

cbsamscan

Re: Rifle cleaning, need some suggestions.

Post by cbsamscan » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:57 pm

Techguy wrote:Well I picked up my first rifle at a gun show this weekend. I got a Lee Enfield No.1 Mk III. Since this is my first rifle, I'm not sure what cleaning materials I'll need. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be any brushes or bore snakes for a .303, so what size should I get to clean it? Is there an all in one cleaning kit I can buy that will have everything? Any info would be great, because I'm clueless about rifle cleaning.
Techguy,
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the world of firearms. I don't know that much about the Lee Enfield except what I've read. It is a great gun to start a collection with and perhaps to shoot as well. However, for your safety and others, take it to a Gunsmith and verify that it is in good enough condition to shoot. The Gunsmith will also probably be able to give you sterling suggestions for cleaning. In regards to cleaning, you've probably learned by know that there are seemingly countless items out there for sale. And I've bought quite a few my self over time. I've learned through trial and error that a product called "FP-10" is perhaps the best there is. It lubricates and actually partially cleans weapons. Because your rifle is older, there may be something else you should use for lubrication instead though. So, back to my first suggestion. But, if it is ok for you to use it, you may be amazed at how well it works. Here is a link to their site: http://www.fp10.com/indexmain.htm

BigBill

Post by BigBill » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:59 pm

I use the G.I. Rifle Bore Cleaner and G.I. Weapons Oil i got from Colemans surplus on the net he has the best prices on it. I use it for all my guns modern and military. I don't like to use the tight bore brushes too I use the smaller ones wrapped with a patch soaked with G.I. Rifle Bore Cleaner it fits the bore tight with a patch and seems to clean it really good too. After shooting corrosive surplus ammo i will run a few wet soaked patches with cleaner thru the bore until they are clean, then a few dry patches to wipe it dry then oil the bore up. I haven't lost a barrel to corrosion in over my 30+ years of doing it this way. The G.I. cleaner is good for removing cosmoline too. If its really bad with cosmoline I will take the whole gun apart and soak it in a tub from walmart with 3 or 4 gallons of kerosene in it(just the metal) and i will use a soft parts cleaning brush to wash the parts. Once most of the cosmo is off I will wipe the parts dry and they wash everything with G.I. Bore Cleaner again to make sure everything is squeeky clean. Sometimes it may take 2 or 3 days to get the hard cosmoline off the gun parts too I just let it soak in the kerosene.