Comparing the Baikol to Extrema & Super Black Eagle

General discussion of all rifles and shotguns.

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

bill

Post by bill » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:37 pm

I have always shot pumps - But I'm getting older & I am finally considering a Autoloader

I have several friends with Benelli's & I'm not as thrilled to get one - But not sure why ???

The Extrema looks better to me - but the price of both seems terrible

I use my guns (alot) so pretty is not even a consideration. I want reliability (should I stay with the pump ???) But less recoil would be nice. I shoot ducks & geese in ND and Sask. But alos shoot a few sharptails & doves.

Have never had to clean a gun everytime I shoot it

If the Baikol does fail how long to get it fixed & back ???

Thanks

bill :?

billg
Site Admin

Post by billg » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:46 pm

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back...I've been pulling both day and night classes lately with the Navy, so I am holding sleep at a slightly higher priority...In answer to some of your questions, I've included a link to European American Armory's frequently asked questions about Baikal shotguns (along with the rest of EAA's products). Most shotguns only come with a one year warranty, but like most Russian produced products I've seen, they tend to be very durable and really don't need the warranty. In fact, of the 30 or 40 of these shotguns I've seen sold, we haven't seen one brought back to the shop for any reason.
The recoil is very mild (except when shooting 3.5" shells) - but take it with a grain of salt since I'm very recoil insensitive--it took three consecutive rapid shots from a .505 Gibbs to convince me that I really didn't like the kick all that much, and I'm currently building my African DGR (dangerous game rifle) in .416 Rem Mag as my all-purpose gun for everyday use. I even find .454 Casull to be somewhat pleasurable! But back to the subject at hand. I think you'd do very well to select the MP153 from EAA (especially now that they offer a synthetic stock--but all the walnut I've been seeing lately has been gorgeous). Make sure you do the correct break in with low-base shells for the first couple hundred rounds before going to the 3.5" bruisers. To describe the recoil of a 3.5" shell, shoot you average 10-ga shotgun and then imagine how it would be if it were about 2-lbs lighter.
As far as cleaning--a little secret--I don't clean my guns everytime either! I've seen the MP153's go through 150 rounds of cheap shotshells without a cleaning, which is probably enough for you to hit the range on Friday, hunt doves all day on Saturday, and then sacrifice a few clays on Sunday before cleaning.

Good luck and good huntiing