My first rifle and shotgun

General discussion of all rifles and shotguns.

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

harleyguynyc

My first rifle and shotgun

Post by harleyguynyc » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:25 am

I guess I'm in the same boat as Techguy sort of. I just bought two guns, a .22 rimfire and a 12ga shotgun both Smithfields. Both were my buddy's Dad's guns. I just shot the .22 at a local range and I'm having a blast (pardon the pun). I wanted to know about some relatively inexpensive cleaning kits.that some of you might suggest. I plan on enjoying my new hobby for many years so I'm willing to invest some $$ into the proper tools I need to keep my guns in great shape. I kind of know that I need cleaner and oil but I've been online and my head hurts from looking at everything there is out there. I have read that Hoppe's is good stuff but again, I'm a newbie so I do need some advice. Thanks in advance fellas.

schmuck

Post by schmuck » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:51 am

hopps is the normal average everyday cleaning supplys and that will work fine for you i would suggest getting a .22 kit and a shotgun kit it will probably be cheaper than buying one and then the rod brushes and patches for the other you may also want to look into a silicone wipe so you can just wipe them down everyonce in a while when you go a long period of time with out useing them

harleyguynyc

Post by harleyguynyc » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:19 pm

thanks for the good infomation.

Apple a Day

Re: My first rifle and shotgun

Post by Apple a Day » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:37 pm

+1 to what Shmuck said. Plenty of kits at Wal Mart or your local gun store with common cleaning jags that'll work for you.
Cheers,

OakRidgeStars

Re: My first rifle and shotgun

Post by OakRidgeStars » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm one of those strange people that finds cleaning my guns to fun and relaxing. However, I don't clean excessively since there is always the risk of some wear and tear any time you push a metal cleaning rod down the barrel. A good wipe down is always a good idea.

Besides, who doesn't like the smell of Hoppes 9? :mrgreen:
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” — Edmund Burke