Marlin 917VSF

General discussion of all rifles and shotguns.

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

scottc

Marlin 917VSF

Post by scottc » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:29 pm

I picked this beautiful rifle up a couple of weeks ago and brought it home. This was the first time I mounted my own optics from start to finish and was successful. Well I took it out to the range after I bore sighted it. And let me tell you WOW! This rifle is a tack driver. Under a quarter groupings at 27 yards, more like a nickle. I can't wait to take this out to Pungo and hit the 100 and 200 yard line and see what I can do. Woodchucks, squirles, and ground hogs, be afraid, be very afraid.

shotgunn83

I know exactly what you mean.

Post by shotgunn83 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:21 pm

I picked up the Marlin 917V a few months back, ordered the 6-18X40 BSA Sweet 17 scope, and now have as you say, " a tack driver". Once mounted I attempted sighting in, but couldn't get the bullet on a 6ft by 4 ft paper at 100 yrds. Finally I moved up to 25 yards, and with the windage at its extreme, was able to get the bullet on the edge of the paper. I had a problem with the factory weaver scope mounts at first because one of the front drilled and tapped holes was slightly off center, making the front mount lean to the ejection side. You talk about a pissed customer at first. I couldn't return the rifle cause I purchased it with some gift certificates from wal-mart, and they suck because of their no return policy. Finally I broke out the dremmel tool and did some work to the weaver mount, and after a lot of thread lock and fine tuning, I have successfully mounted the scope straight and true. Can't wait myself to try it's adjustable elevation out to 300 yards, should be fun.

Jason