open car carry question

Information From The Staff

Moderators: Doc@The-Armory, dave

ivorgunslinger

open car carry question

Post by ivorgunslinger » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:08 pm

kinda confused...i seem to remember years ago that if you carried a firearm in the car the arm and ammunition must be seperated ....i visited a website posted on this forum that gives the laws of virginia and says that a loaded firearm is fine in a car as long as it is not concealed ie: on the seat..which is correct? i do not have a cwp...also has chesapeake changed its laws on open carry? years ago my wife called the magistrate from each city and chesapeake said you could carry open as long as the gun wasnt loade...i guess you would throw the gun at them....???? thanks mike
freedom is not free the blood of patriot's ensured that all who crave freedom will have the right to pursue it

Splitter

Post by Splitter » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:27 pm

loaded open carry is permitted by and large as a whole in the state of VA. Also, you can carry a loaded gun in your car concealed if you have a permit. If you dont, it needs to be on the seat, or in plain view.

Go to these websites for specifics:

opencarry.org
packing.org
Support Israel!

SigSauer P239 .40SW
SigSauer P230 .380ACP
Glock G27 .40SW
SW Model 10-6 .38SPL

ivorgunslinger

thanks

Post by ivorgunslinger » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:45 pm

thanks splitter worked around guns all my life but havent kept up on laws so it can be loaded in the car in plain sight with no ccw?
freedom is not free the blood of patriot's ensured that all who crave freedom will have the right to pursue it

Splitter

Post by Splitter » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:50 pm

yup... concealment is concealment. As long as it is plain view it is okay.

My advice: Get a CCW License. One day someone is gonna see it in the seat and call the police. They are mandated to treat it as a felony stop for a weapons call. So, you will get embarrassed, and chided by the police (which isn't really fun).

So, go to a class at Bob's, pony up the $50 for the license, and get all carded up. That way, you can put it in your coat, or glove box, or trunk and not have to worry about getting into any misunderstandings with VBPD/NPD/CPD.

word!
Support Israel!

SigSauer P239 .40SW
SigSauer P230 .380ACP
Glock G27 .40SW
SW Model 10-6 .38SPL

ivorgunslinger

Post by ivorgunslinger » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:09 pm

splitter you are a great american my friend....gonna get a a permit here soon just went and bought a new kimber tle 11 from marie and bill sweet slab side i used to work at discount gun exchange in the early 90s as a rangemaster sold all my guns and now trying to build them back up.... once a month hmmm......12 guns a year????? lol.....mike

Chkultr

More than 1

Post by Chkultr » Wed May 09, 2007 8:38 pm

Ivor an advantage to getting your CCW is that you can purchase multiple guns at one time! No need to wait for the 30 days!

Josh